Monday, January 7, 2013

Receiving Unwelcomed News


Mark 8

30-32 Jesus warned them to keep it quiet, not to breathe a word of it to anyone. He then began explaining things to them: “It is necessary that the Son of Man proceed to an ordeal of suffering, be tried and found guilty by the elders, high priests, and religion scholars, be killed, and after three days rise up alive.” He said this simply and clearly so they couldn't miss it.

Lord Jesus- I wonder how I would have reacted to this news.  This was not something that the disciples wanted to hear...it was not something that they were expecting to hear. I am sure that I would not have gotten it the first time that you broached this subject.  Denial works well for me and I would have ignored it, or spaced it, or heard it but not understood it. In the end, I would have avoided the reality of it until there was no other choice.  I can almost see the scene.  the disciples gather in a circle around you.  With you just giving them the truth.  I wonder what reaction came from Judas?  Where was John in the mix? Were there other reactions or was there just stunned silence?

32-33 But Peter grabbed him in protest. Turning and seeing his disciples wavering, wondering what to believe, Jesus confronted Peter. “Peter, get out of my way! Satan, get lost! You have no idea how God works.”

Lord Jesus--This is one of those times that it is very dark...expectations are smashed.  Peter goes a step beyond just denial of the newly given information,  he reaches for control, and attempts to direct.

There are times when darkness, has to be noticed and dealt with.  This in another setting might have been something that could have been talked through with Peter.  Here he had to be directly confronted with his almost reflex action.  This is not the last time that Peter had to deal with direct correction.

 Lord Jesus-- Peter has just related his faith in you that you are the Messiah, and yet he attempts to direct you?  Tell you what to do?  I wonder what Peter thought about this later in his life?  Did he think of this incident as he lead the church and dealt with the issues of the every day?  Did he think about his own lack of insight when dealing with the impending death of all his hopes, dreams and expectations?

There is truth that runs down to me from this incident.   It is a truth that stings sometimes.  But I need to hear it from time to time. "You have no idea how God works.”  Peter had no idea how God works and the reality is neither do I sometimes. We walk by faith not by sight. We take each step at a time watch and listening...intent on following.  Following is the point, even when the way is not what I expect want or would chose if given the option.

Lord Jesus--In this day that begins in just a few moments, lead me, continue the process of show me how you work.

No comments:

Post a Comment