Monday, January 23, 2012

Notes to the Lord:The Lessons Continue


Mark 1
16 As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 17 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 18 At once they left their nets and followed him.
 19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.

Lord Jesus--The call to follow you was a call to become a student of the master. It was your job to teach, Simon, Andrew, James and John's job to learn.  It isn't for the next meal or to pay the rent that they would be fishing for men, but rather for your kingdom. Interesting that they did not inquire about the benefits package or the retirement program.  They heard your call and followed.  They wanted to know more about you.  Relationship called them and kept them following you.

So the call for me today is much the same.  I continue to learn and you continue to teach.  I am thinking that because of the gift of the Holy Spirit that process is really accelerated over what the disciples experienced.  I have always thought that I would have liked to have been a part of that group.  But reality is that their learning curve was the result of their context.  My learning curve is dependent on my context, Lord continue to teach and to lead on the road to your Kingdom come.

Remind me to today Lord Jesus, as I do normal things that you are still teaching.  The process is not over, I still am the student.  Help my "yes" to you is fully awake.

Our “Yes” to God is, in the words of theologian Dietrich von Hildebrand, “the primal word” and “cannot be spoken too clearly, too wakefully, too explicitly.”
Mcknight, Scot (2009-10-01). Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others (p. 69). Paraclete Press. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment