Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Seeing the Forest And The Trees



Mark
[4.10-12] When they were off by themselves, those who were close to him, along with the Twelve, asked about the stories. He told them, “You’ve been given insight into God’s kingdom—you know how it works. But to those who can’t see it yet, everything comes in stories, creating readiness, nudging them toward receptive insight. These are people—   Whose eyes are open but don’t see a thing,ears are open but don’t understand a word, Who avoid making an about-face and getting forgiven.”

Lord Jesus--It is easy to miss the obvious.   Old lines come to mind: " if it was a snake it would have bit me" or "He can't see the forest for the trees."  The point is that the specific is missed within the larger context.   Parabolic teaching was a tool that you used to reach the masses in a way that they could be brought closer...nudged toward the Kingdom.  I wonder how often the Pharisees scratched their heads trying to get it in focus.

The goal is toward receptive insight.  You want me to see every interaction as an opportunity for learning and growing into all that you would have me to be.  That process, that journey doesn't end this side of the pearly gates.

People have their own agenda.  That simple fact does not change the reality that you want to use the setting I find myself in to your honor and glory...and to nudge me toward you.  I just need to trust that you will use the agenda of others in your will and plan.

 People get angry...or passionate...or whatever they want to call it at times...and it is hard to connect the dots of your grace  Does that change the fact that You have allowed me the opportunity to learn and grow within the situations that I find myself? NO!  Seeing the message and understanding the application in the specific setting can be distracting at best and confusing at worst.  You have an agenda in my life that continues through all the turns along the way.

That is when I am glad that you taught the crowds in stories  I don't have to understand it all.   I just have to trust that even if I can't see the trees right now, I know that I am in the forest because I can hear the wind of the Spirit through the leaves.  As I am listening I just have to wait for the next nudge.

Lord Jesus--Today, work as you see fit.

Peterson, Eugene H. (2006-06-15). The Message Remix 2.0: The Bible In contemporary Language (p. 1797). NavPress. Kindle Edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment