Monday, August 30, 2010

Notes to the Lord:Things that Should Impress

Scripture Reflections: Matthew 24

1Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him. 2And He said to them, "Do
you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down."

Lord Jesus--The temple was impressive to the disciples. What was it that impressed them I wonder...was it the impressive workmanship? Was it the history the foundations of which reminded them of the past glories of their people. In the middle of this history and maybe even patriotism that your disciples were feeling you bring in the reality of the coming storm.

What are the things that impress me?


Lord Jesus--Remind me that the past is not enough...religious relics are not enough, you want to be a present reality. There is a future that is coming which will change old balances and call into question the assumptions that have endured for generations.

3As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

Lord Jesus--These men who had lived with you for three years didn't have all the pieces put together. They were living through the time of the pieces of unfolding revelation being put into place. But in the middle of it all there appears to be the understanding that you would have to go away...that this coming was not the end of the age.

Never noticed that before...I wonder where they thought that you would be going? If these men who had watched you for three years didn't get the picture...I guess that I can expect the picture will be unclear to me at times to.


4And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. 5"For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.

Lord Jesus--These are times when many are mislead, where truth and error is mingled so much of the time. You told us that there would be those who would come and make claims to be you. Help me to have a discerning spirit and to hear your call in the middle of all the voices of my cluttered culture and time.

6"You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end.

Lord Jesus--I am safe within your care no matter what age I am living in. These are times which could very well be the end of all things and be the building crescendo that will bring about your return. These times could also just be the end of the things that I have known.

It seems clear to all thinking people that the world that we live in is fundamentally not sustainable. There is fear on every side, everyone wanting to hang on to the things that they had gotten.

Let me be content with what you had given me and the time that you had given me to live in. Help me to follow you through these days.
The simple fact that you can lead in the middle of these days of change and transition is something to hold on to. You will continue to keep your people safe and unafraid. This simple fact should be what impresses your people...not buildings, either of the past or the present.

The temple crashed to the ground to the trample of steel shod Roman sandals and yet your people were kept safe. I am certain that you can do the same in my age as I watch the transition of many institutions that have been thought to be just as enduring as the temple was then.

Lord Jesus--Help me to faithful to your call today...to live as you would have me to live in this day that will dawn in just a few moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment