Sunday, November 7, 2010

Notes to the Lord: On Power

Scripture Reflection:Matthew 27

11
Now Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor questioned Him, saying, "Are You the King of the Jews?" And Jesus said to him, "It is as you say."

12
And while He was being accused by the chief priests and elders, He did not answer.

13Then Pilate said to Him, "Do You not hear how many things they testify against You?"

14And He did not answer him with regard to even a single charge, so the governor was quite amazed.

Lord Jesus--The power of Pilate was fleeting at best. He was a governor who would soon be replaced. He governed an area that would in just a few short years erupt in rebellion against Imperial Rome. But for the time being he had the power to decide what was going to be done with you. This was one decision in a career of decisions. It is the one for which he is remembered. He was the one to condemn the Son of God.

So what can I take away from Pilate? He was someone that only had power over you because you allowed it.
Power and influence are only on loan from you. They are not a right. The influence that I have is from your hand. Help me to use it in a way that honors you. All the places that I end up are places that you have allowed. Your hand is in it, and I can trust that you will give me the wisdom I need.

Lord Jesus--In the week that will begin in just a few hours help me to honor you in the ways that I use the influence that you have allowed me.

2 comments:

  1. So true!!! To whom much is given, much is expected. If we are given such abilities to lead and influence we must always remember that it is on loan from He who gave it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some call it a loan...or maybe a sacred trust...

    ReplyDelete