Friday, November 5, 2010

Notes to the Lord: On Remorse




Scripture Reflections: Matthew 27

1Now when morning came, all the chief priests and the elders of the people conferred together against Jesus to put Him to death; 2and they bound Him, and led Him away and delivered Him to Pilate the governor.

Lord Jesus--Your trial was much like the justice that poor people get most of the time. There were no high priced lawyers for the King of Kings, just conferring between those in power. There was only the use of whatever power was available to get the Roman's to act.

3Then when Judas, who had betrayed Him, saw that He had been condemned, he felt remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Lord Jesus--The motivation of Judas is a mystery. Why did he do what he did? Was it the money? Was it to feel important?

I would like think that I am somehow different and above the possibility of betraying you. Yet, we are not that much different, Judas and I. The differences are only the ones that grace received makes. Nothing more...there is nothing that I can add to that grace.

Saying, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." But they said, "What is that to us? See to that yourself!" 5And he threw the pieces of silver into the temple sanctuary and departed; and he went away and hanged himself.

Lord Jesus--The weight of what Judas had done was too heavy for him to carry. He was able to see the reality of your innocence in the hands of a corrupt and bankrupt system as he realized that you were condemned.

Judas was left with remorse. He was sorry for his sin. Grace is never cheap...why is it that we have this idea that if we are sorry that it some how changes things. My feeling sorry is never enough. You do not want my guilt or my remorse you want to bring your grace. Whenever I hang on to my sin it is always too heavy to hold.

Lord Jesus, You bring me back again and again to the place of grace. Everything is grace received. Bring grace in this day...











No comments:

Post a Comment