Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Notes to the Lord - People Are Watching Our Witness

2 Thessalonians 1
1Paul, Silas and Timothy,To the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:2 Grace and peace to you from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.3 We ought always to t hank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing. 4 Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.

Lord Jesus--If Paul were writing to me from his latest venture. What would he say to me? Would He be proud of the work that has been done. I am sure that he would not be so concerned about a new sign, or a redone office.

He would want to know about the people who love Jesus now who didn’t before this adventure that I engaged in began. He would want to know about the people challenged to be more than they are now.

He would want to know about the prayer that I had the privilege to have with a friend the other day who was trying to sort out your will for his life. He would want to know about the spiritual battles that have been won, and those that are still being fought. He would want to know about the presence of the Holy Spirit in worship and the grace that has been received and lived out in the everyday.

Lord Jesus--I have a feeling that I know some of what Paul would say. But what do you say? What message do you have for me this morning? Where are the growing edges that I need to encourage? Last week the message was to get thankful, rejoice for everything. Just because that is your will.

Thankfulness for what you have already done, is the key in the lock of hearing with clarity the Holy Spirit’s call on my life.

These good people in this church that Paul had planted were now under the gun...suffering for the faith. They were not in a culture war, they were in a spiritual all out no holds barred life and death struggle for their faith.

I have a feeling that they didn't have many discussions about worship style. Nor were they organizing a voter registration drive. I don't think that they were organizing a drive in the defense of marriage. They were not expecting the world to live any differently than the people that they were, people in need of grace.

They knew the le
sson that the 21st century church is just learning. Political power is not the answer, spiritual power is what will see communities and nations change. Anything else is a waste of time and energy, a shifting of focus that is a trick of the evil one. They were learning their lesson on the point of Roman power.

Paul lik
e the spiritual parent that he was, would shield them if possible from their pain. Deep down he knew that prayer was what could help them in their need. I am sure there were feelings of powerlessness as he watched from a distance.

Lord Jesus--Focus me on the point this morning. That there are people all around me that need to see You lived out in my life. Give me the strength to live for you in this day.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I just had a thought the other day about the church having specialized classes for adults that focus on different subjects.. marriage, finances etc.. I realize that Living Springs is probably not into that stage yet for anything on a big scale or if anyone would even be interested but it is just a thought.

    ReplyDelete