Sunday, January 2, 2011

Notes to the Lord: Lesson in Love And Life


1 Thessalonians 4

9 Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. 10 And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more,

Lord Jesus--These early Christians did not get a letter from Paul that focused on the need and the means to love. They had followed the teaching that you had taught them...a little at a time in Paul’s absence. They had grown their love for each other and for the rest of God’s people.

Continue that process in me, Lord a bit at a time. Shaping where it is needed, sanding when necessary...the work needs to get done.

11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Lord Jesus--These brother’s and sister’s separated from me in time and space were going through many of the same issues of growing their faith that I am. Along with the heart work there were the practical issues. Ok, how am I going to support myself in this economic environment?

Yet, through all of the issues that I am sure troubled their lives: wars, repression of civil liberties, and economies based on slave labor, you lead and provided for your people. If you did that then, you can still do that now for this child of God. The goal is a quiet life that is based on a good work ethic and in so doing to win the respect of the watching world.

Lord Jesus, In the day that will begin in just a little while, there will be tasks to complete and goals to reach. In all of the goals and reaching, help me to remember your grace and love which always are reaching out to me. In the middle of the race don't let me miss the grace that surrounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment