Saturday, June 25, 2011

Notes to the Lord: Making the Connections


2 Timothy

8 Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, 9 for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal.

Lord Jesus--The gospel is really simple but the implications take a life time to work out. For Paul following the gospel meant chains...and arrest like a common criminal. Discipleship has a cost. Following where you lead is the call. Cost can be simple a word here and a stance taken there. Or, the cost can be life changing...moving to a new town, change of vocation.

Lord Jesus, help me to live out the full implications of your good word to what ever point you call me to.

But God’s word is not chained. 10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

Lord Jesus--Paul here takes an expansive view of your word. Your word works in ways that I am not aware of in nooks and crannies that can only be reached by the work of your Holy Spirit. To be really honest, I don't even have a clue as to the places where your word needs to reach with healing, hope and health in this crooked little heart of mine. But, even in the middle of not knowing I will trust your word to work with power.

Hebrews 4:12 12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

There is this idea that your word is active and alive in a way in which I don’t usually think of words. Your word takes on a life of its own, it applies and implies in ways that I don’t have a clue about. The strange part is that you are ultimately the one that makes the connections that I could never in a life time or two make. I trust you to build those bridges to places that only your Holy Spirit's knows I need to go.

Lord Jesus--I trust in your word for today in the situations in which I find myself. Let your word seep and finds is way into the nooks and crannies of my heart. Help me to be light in the places that you put me in ways I may not fully understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment