Thursday, April 26, 2012

Deep Growth


Mark 4

Some fell in the gravel; it sprouted quickly but didn’t put down roots, so when the sun came up it withered just as quickly.

Lord Jesus--The push in my cluttered culture is for growth that is fast. You are not looking for fast growth, but instead deep growth.  Roots that sink deep into the soil that nurtures and gives life giving hope.  Ok, deep not quick, what does that imply?

Deep growth is not about what I can get, but more about what I can give. I live in a consumer driven culture that has infected the church.  Your focus is not personal growth, and getting my needs met...but you call me to something that is different.  It is in creating opportunities to give that my deepest needs are met.

Deeper growth takes time.  I don't like that part.  I would love to have this be instantaneous, immediate, exponential. Instead, my experience so far with you is toward roots that sink deep into the soil of your grace, planning for and allowing incremental growth.  Never forgetting that harvest time is coming...

Deep growth is about rootedness and about connectedness to the source of nutrients that produce growth.  You are the source...a theologian once called you the Ground of all Being...not bad but way to limited a view for my taistes.  You are the ultimate source of all that there is that fosters growth and life.  You are the ground of all being, but also the air of all being, the context within which we live and move and grow. Yes, a bit more that just ground. The more I am connected to you the more green, life giving growth can occur.

Peterson, Eugene H. (2006-06-15). The Message Remix 2.0: The Bible In contemporary Language (p. 1796). NavPress. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment