Thursday, April 26, 2012

Soil and Son


Mark 4
[4.3-8] “Listen. What do you make of this? A farmer planted seed. As he scattered the seed, some of it fell on the road and birds ate it. Some fell in the gravel; it sprouted quickly but didn’t put down roots, so when the sun came up it withered just as quickly. Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled among the weeds and nothing came of it. Some fell on good earth and came up with a flourish, producing a harvest exceeding his wildest dreams. [4.9] “Are you listening to this? Really listening?”


Lord Jesus--It is a simple story...of planting and of harvest. Your word is the seed.  It finds its way to the soil one way of the other. Sometimes it falls on by the side of the road.  Busy places are not a good place for your word to grow.  I need to create time and space within me for the process of spiritual formation to take root.  Is there a decision process there?  Sure.  But is decision the only part?  Not really...is it an important part absolutely. If I make too much of my decision to act I end up not fostering the qualities that need to change for ongoing spiritual maturation to take place.


The implications run down the hill from here, don't they, Lord?  The point of telling the story in the first place is that soils can change...amazingly enough. Prodigal sons and daughters can come home, lost coins can be found, lost sheep are searched for...and soils can change...need to change.  I need to be open to the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit in both crisis and process.  Actively promoting change in the soil of my heart.

How? Simple things really: prayer that is honest and real, seeking to make a place in my heart for your word, engaged in acts of caring that reach beyond self, family and immediate close friends. There is grace to be asked for and received,  but the work and the harvest requires ongoing attention and effort.

Lord Jesus--Continue to work the soil of my heart...today help me to be open to leading and guidance to your work with in me.  What needs to be worked on today? Help me to see today as an opportunity for growing and maturation.

Peterson, Eugene H. (2006-06-15). The Message Remix 2.0: The Bible In contemporary Language (pp. 1796-1797). NavPress. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment