Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Notes to the Lord:Servant Leader?


Scripture Reflections:Matthew 20: 24When the ten heard about this, they were indignant with the two brothers.

Word got out about the request of John and James mother and it was a free for all. Everyone wanted in on the actions. I am wondering who had the loudest voice in the discussion? Was it John? Was it Peter? More to the point...If I had been there would it have been me?

25Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.

Lord Jesus--I think I understand that kind of leadership style...focus is on the pomp and forget about the circumstances of life of the people who serve under you. Leadership was about putting everyone else down, so that that the leader could look better.
26Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—

Lord Jesus--Greatness in the kingdom is not the way that it is seen and viewed in the larger culture that surrounds me. It has nothing to do with backroom politics of Chicago, New York or the movers and the shakers of my days. It has everything to do with serving and giving just to give...as if it were an offering.

28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."


Lord Jesus--When I read this verse I remember that you washed the feet of your betrayer. That in the group that sat breaking bread with you that last supper was the one who would give you over to death.
You served Judas, you gave me an example of your being a servant right up to the very end...You reached out to him, gave him a chance to change right up to the kiss of his betrayal.

Lord Jesus in the day that will begin in just a couple of hours give me your grace to demonstrate in the contexts that you put me servant leadership. Leadership that has the smell of sweat and blood in it...of sacrifice and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment