Thursday, July 8, 2010

Notes to the Lord:Post Script to Letting Go


Scripture Reflections:Matthew 19 27Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"

Lord Jesus--The first thing that comes to my mind is the ironic setting. You are heading toward Jerusalem for the last time. And a reoccurring theme in the minds of the disciples is: what does this mean for me?


Up front and personal: The reality is this is a rumble strip on the road to kingdom come f
or me too Lord...what is there in it for me? How will this impact me? Where will letting go lead me? That is when I have to rehearse again in mind and heart the way that up to this point, you have always provided and sustained ... that really what I find so hard to let go of in the present is really only the product of your past blessing anyway. So why shouldn't I let go? Will I ever be able to leave that part of the wash and wear cycle of life? Hope so...Letting go always means that better blessings await...that my already full hands will drop if I don’t let go of what is already in them.

I am sure that the disciples may have sensed that changes were in the wind...they had heard you predict your own death and yet they were is some denial still about what the out comes would be. They wanted the future to be bright and Peter was especially resistant to the possibility of the cross.

Lord Jesus
-- I wonder if those fishing boats and nets where starting to look real good to him right at this point. Looking back at what has already been let go of is always a bit dangerous.

28Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

I like that line...”at the renewal of all things.” So often the end of this world is seen as an ending, but really it is a renewal of what always was meant to be. The fallen restored to its intrinsic glory. We live in the fallen embers of Eden. In that restoration, there will be reward for the faithful.

29And everyo
ne who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.

Lord Jesus--In the
middle of impending change, you reassured these followers that letting go...and giving life into your hands is of ultimate value and worth...worth so much more than what presently holds their attention.

Father--In this coming day that has already started around me...there is impending change evidencing. Give me the grace to embrace it without reservation and to accept your leadership over this day. It is in the strong name of Jesus that I ask this. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment