Thursday, July 15, 2010

Notes to the Lord:A Reoccurring Question



Scripture Reflections:Matthew 20
20Then the mother of Zebedee's sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him.

I wonder why at this time James and John’s mother decided to come to Jesus as he was just down the street from the cross 17 miles...just outside Jericho. Did she sense that something was about to change with the Master? Why did this question come up now? Good people sometimes have the worst timing.


21"What is it you want?" he asked.

She said, "Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom."

Seating location can be such a problem as banquets...how far am I from the host making some kind of statement of about my importance. Seating arrangements at weddings can take hours...Aunt Whoseewhatsit can not sit next to Uncle Noname...


Here this mother was asking for seating placement for her sons at the marriage feast of the Lamb. Lord Jesus, I really don’t care about seating arrangements...I just want to get there by your grace.


But on that day on the way into Jerusalem it seemed important to nail this thing down.
Remind me today that the things that appear to be so important many times can wait. You are the one who is in charge of timing.

22"You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?

"We can," they answered.

These Son’s of Thunder did not know what they were saying. I think about singing that song--”Where He Leads Me I Will Follow.” It really is a statement of feeling at a moment in time...a statement of faith that You will give the the strength and guidance to be able to live it out in the situations of life.

These two young men were like six year olds singing “Where He Leads Me I Will Follow” at a revival service. They had no real id
ea how the answer to this question would inform, reform and conform the rest of their lives. I wonder if they remembered the look that Jesus gave them as they answered this question?

23Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father."


I wonder how often I am like a six year old singing hymns and songs of unlimited commitment knowing only the feeling of the moment?

Lord Jesus--Give me the strength and endurance for the race that you have marked out even when I am not sure of what is around the next corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment