Monday, October 11, 2010

Notes to the Lord: On Words of Prophecy


Matthew 26

31Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:

" 'I will strike the shepherd,
and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' 32But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee."

Lord Jesus--You know with intimate details included the course that awaits me. It is obscure, dark and down right scary to me at times, but it is clear and evident t
o you. You knew before it happened that this little group of students on the road to Kingdom Come would scatter with your departure.

It is interesting and telling that you prepared them f
or what was ahead of them. You gave them a next step after the worst had happened...you gave them a place and a time to re-group. Even in the middle of falling you remind these men to get up.

Lord Jesus--I wonder how many times you have
prepared me for the next step without me ever even realizing it. Every step of the way from here to Kingdom Come you have mapped out. Every twist in the road and twist in my heart is known to you.

You know there will be times when I will need to re-group. I will need to look for you in places that I know that you will be. You did not give up on these men who spent so much time with you. You continue to guide even in the middle of the dark places...you continue to walk with me.

33Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."34"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered,
"this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times." 35But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.

Lord Jesus--Peter was in the middle of beating his chest in pride about what he would never do on that night that he would betray you. I dare not judge Peter. I wonder if these words of warning were helpful to him? Maybe they were the words that kept Peter from Judas' end of the rope when he realized what he had done.

There is sadness in these words of warning. I can hear the empathy mixed in with the prophetic. The point of the prophetic words of warning were to create a place to follow even after denial had occurred.

Lord Jesus--There is hope in these words spoken to Peter. The preparation can only be seen in hind sight from Peter's vantage point. I will trust you Lord for the next step even when it is dark and all I know is the next place you promised to be

No comments:

Post a Comment