Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Notes to the Lord:Entering Like a Child


Matthew 18 1At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

Lord Jesus--The context of this question is just so twisted and sad as I think about it. On the way to Jerusalem and death awaiting with the unseen battles that must have been playing out in the background of your mind and heart, and those closest to you are questioning status.

What a classic picture of asking the exactly wrong question at exactly the wrong time that lets out all too much of the real condition of the heart. I am certain I have done this same thing...and broken your heart in the process. Forgive me Lord for bad timing and worse a heart that at times is just too small and too case hardened.


2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Lord Jesus--Entrance into your kingdom is not based on status, on who we are, or what we have done...but on humbly accepting mercy and grace that is unmerited and unearned. Remind me again Lord of what you have done and who I am...a person in need of mercy each day.


5"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.

Lord Jesus--It makes me wonder about all the welcomes I have given and the reasons for them. It is really so simple a welcome in your name to little ones is really a welcome of you. Remind me of that next Sunday as I am greeting the children. I am really greeting you...and welcoming you into your own house. What a picture...Jesus welcomed in a baby's toothless grin. I love it.

How I welcome those who have little status in this world is one of the major indicators of spiritual health and the gospel being lived out with grace in my life. Lord Jesus help me to live out your call in this coming day.

No comments:

Post a Comment