Wednesday, March 16, 2011


1 Timothy 2

9I would like for women to wear modest and sensible clothes. They should not have fancy hairdos, or wear expensive clothes, or put on jewelry made of gold or pearls. 10Women who claim to love God should do helpful things for others, 11and they should learn by being quiet and paying attention.

Lord Jesus--Gender issues and the role of women was something that the early church had to work out. I am sure that some of the process was with a bit of fear and trembling. The culture at large had relegated women to a position in society that was just a bit more than property, but not much more. Practical advise was simple: focus on the inside not on the outside, take time to listen and learn, talk and walk should be in sync. Seems like that is practical advise that either gender could benefit from...

12They should be silent and not be allowed to teach or to tell men what to do. 13After all, Adam was created before Eve, 14and the man Adam wasn't the one who was fooled. It was the woman Eve who was completely fooled and sinned. 15But women will be saved by having children, if they stay faithful, loving, holy, and modest.

Lord Jesus--Here is the part that is hotly debated right now. Was this a cultural accommodation that Paul made for the church at the time or a general prescription of conduct and church rule.

The thing that is interesting to me is: when Paul comes down to the nitty-gritty and says that women are save by staying faithful, loving, holy and modest...rules of conduct that are gender unspecific. Interesting.

Lord Jesus--In this day help me to focus on the essentials...let me stay in the nitty-gritty. Help me not to get sidetracked from the essentials of staying faithful, loving and holy. Help me in my walk that it would be in sync with my talk. Help me live today aware of you alive within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment