Tuesday, July 19, 2011

NOtes to the Lord:Work and Word


2 Timothy 2

15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed
and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Lord Jesus--This morning as the sun rises, I think about the past and the process that has lead me to this place, this day, this situation that you have brought me to. From time to time I see your finger prints on the windows of my soul.

Here Paul was reminded the young Timothy that life is not all about fun, and happiness, but there is work involved in following you and there is accountability that is called for. Remind me of my accountability to “correctly” handle the word of truth.

Handling the word of truth...I think about the simple ways that Sunday School teacher used to talk
with me about the Bible...”treat it with respect like the United States flag.” That idea kind of works to a point. But I have a feeling that you want your word to be more than hanging on a wall somewhere or standing in a corner gathering dust. I also have the feeling that the flag and what it stands for should be more than a piece of cloth hanging from a stick on the wall.

Handling the word of truth...starts with you in conversation. Lord let the words come alive in my soul as you speak the words into my heart. Words with power come as I wait for you to tell me of grace, hope and love that surrounds me. Today push me in the direction of “correctly handles the word of truth.”

Your word when I let it work within me, changes me from the inside out...gently, quietly without a lot loud fanfare. Do the mechanics of study matter? Absolutely! I need to understand the context, the words, the setting that surrounded your word in the first place. But more important than anything I must not miss the message: grace, hope, love, accountability.

Today I open myself to your direction, Lord Jesus...lead through your word and work in this heart of mine. Lead me Lord Jesus...it is your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment