Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Notes to the Lord:Pressing On


2 Timothy 2

20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21 Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.

Lord Jesus--I am glad that Our Father’s house is a big one. It is big and varied with dimensions that astound with nooks and crannies abounding. Paul’s point here is that I need to let the gospel have it’s full effect: a change of essence. The difference between wood and clay verses gold and silver are not differences of degree but differences in kind.

Paul also point to functionality being determined by essence. Is that a process that we complete? Is it the same process that Paul is talking about in Philippians?

Philippians 3:10-13

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,

Lord Jesus--It is an endurance race that is taking place. You want me to allow you to continue to change and mold me to be more and more like you. Paul was pointing to participating with, or allowing that process to continue in Timothy’s life and in the life of the church that he was leading.

I have to admit Lord, sometimes that situations that come at me seem to be random and just chance. But as I read your word and I allow you to work with the circumstance, there is an order that develops, a movement toward a goal that is not at first visible. It is your goal to transmute, wood and clay into silver and gold by your work in my life. It is a process that begins with salvation and that requires my acceptance and participation in the process.

In the day that awaits Lord continue that process of molding and of shaping me into the person that you have in mind. Help me co-operate with that process instead of meandering along aimlessly. This is a day to press on toward the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment