Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Notes to the Lord:On Being and Not Just Saying


2 Timothy 1

3Night and day I mention you in my prayers. I am always grateful for you, as I pray to the God my ancestors and I have served with a clear conscience.


Lord Jesus--It does sound like Paul prayed as he walked either on a Roman road or in a Roman jail. It almost seems as if the cadence of this foot falls are the cadence of his letter to his student in the faith Timothy. He ran through in his mind and heart the strengths and weakness of this young man. He remembered the close bond that they had, and missed him
.

4I remember how you cried, and I want to see you, because that will make me truly happy. 5I also remember the genuine faith of your mother Eunice. Your grandmother Lois had the same sort of faith, and I am sure that you have it as well.


Lord Jesus--Timothy must have been a bit different than Paul...Paul the writer, the cognitive one, the one who was the practical thinking on his feet theologian. Timothy more emotional, a bit less rugged and durable.

Timothy also came from a family of faith that knew how to put shoe leather and sweat into their faith. I wonder where Paul met Eunice and Lois. Did they met at the local Jewish deli in Lystra? We will never know this side of the pearly gates, but Paul had seen them in action. He knew that they were people of mental and physical stamina. They were people who had metal in their faith. In his own way he was telling Timothy to “man up.” Use everything that God has given you hold nothing in reserve.

I need to hear that message from time to time...”stop the whining, Kurt...will you just do it and let it be?” “Less with the jaws and more with the paws”...”walk the talk, silly man.” Or another way, that faith is in you...you saw it lived out in your parents and grandparents time, now live it in the challenges that face you during the time that you have been put on earth.

6So I ask you to make full use of the gift that God gave you when I placed my hands on you. Use it well. 7God's Spirit doesn't make cowards out of us. The Spirit gives us power, love, and self-control.

Lord Jesus--I wish that Paul had told us what gifts that Timothy had. One could wonder, was he a prophet? A teacher? Evangelist? Was he a healer? What ever the gifts, they were clearly demonstrated when Paul had placed hands on him. The gifts were just that gifts, but the expression of them also where given by the Spirit evidenced in power, love, and self control.

8Don't be ashamed to speak for our Lord. And don't be ashamed of me, just because I am in jail for serving him. Use the power that comes from God and join with me in suffering for telling the good news.

Was it in a prison transport that Paul was writing to Timothy? Or was he writing from Rome, it is clear that Paul does not expect to be released. He has seen people close to him leave him...maybe that is what reminds him of Timothy. It was time to quietly yet clearly stand ground in the face of the enemy.

Lord Jesus--In this day let there be metal in my faith...let there be power, love and self-control expressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment