Monday, October 3, 2011

Notes to the Lord:Every Step Along the way...or 1/2 of a Psalm

A DAVID 
PSALM 025

[25.1-2] My head is high, GOD, held high; I’m looking to you, GOD; No hangdog skulking for me.   [25.3] I’ve thrown in my lot with you; You won’t embarrass me, will you? Or let my enemies get the best of me?   Don’t embarrass any of us Who went out on a limb for you. It’s the traitors who should be humiliated.

Lord Jesus--David is making a choice here.  We find out at the end of the psalm that he sees himself on a "run of bad luck." Other translations call it ""troubles."  It can feel like either one when I am in the middle of them.


David is making a decision to look to you right in the middle of the mess he finds himself in. A choice to trust even when outward circumstance would not encourage him to make that leap of faith.  When I am "out there" doing the next right thing that you put in my path it then depends on you to act.  David has the attitude of head held high with heart confident that you will work.

 [25.4] Show me how you work, GOD; School me in your ways.   [25.5] Take me by the hand; Lead me down the path of truth. You are my Savior, aren't you?

Lord Jesus--It seems like school should end at some point shouldn't it? The lessons keep coming.  Reactions that could have been more like you...ways of looking at the situations that confront me that could have been more saturated with prayer before a decision was made. You continue to be my savior...leading me along on the journey.



[25.6] Mark the milestones of your mercy and love, GOD;Rebuild the ancient landmarks!

Lord Jesus-You set out the path in the first place, you knew from the start of the journey I would be here.  It was a surprise to me but not to you. The passing of the miles at this point are noticeable.  A friend reminded me recently that you don't need an aging baby-boomer acting like a two year old.  Good point.  The adult in me knows that you are the one who calls...you are the one who give grace for the journey. If it your call for me is to be involved in rebuilding the ancient landmarks...then send the mortar and bricks.

  [25.7] Forget that I sowed wild oats; Mark me with your sign of love. Plan only the best for me, GOD!   [25.8] GOD is fair and just; He corrects the misdirected, Sends them in the right direction. 

Lord Jesus--I wonder if David's battles haunted him...the faces of those he had killed in battle...the scars on body and soul. The missteps that every leader makes that costs time and lives. Then there were the more conscious choices of self will run riot.   Sounds like the night was not always kind to David as his mind thought over the miles and the mulled over the past.

[25.9] He gives the rejects his hand, And leads them step-by-step.   [25.10] From now on every road you travel Will take you to GOD. Follow the Covenant signs; Read the charted directions.   [25.11] Keep up your reputation, GOD; Forgive my bad life; It’s been a very bad life.

Lord  Jesus--Then there are the directions. I love the thought of every road leading to you, Lord. At this point, I don't have the time or the energy for missed directions. All along the way there is the need for forgiveness and grace...grace not once but with every turn of the road every footfall and phone call.

Lord Jesus--Take this day into your keeping and use it as you will.

Peterson, Eugene H. (2006-06-15). The Message Remix 2.0: The Bible In contemporary Language (p. 737). NavPress. Kindle Edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment