Thursday, October 27, 2011

Water

 Water
John 4:9-11  (NIV)

10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”

Lord Jesus--It is just water after all.  But to you, Lord Jesus, it became a word picture of something more than molecules of H20 flowing over rocks.  Water becomes a picture of the gift of God soon to be given at Pentecost.   The Holy Spirit and his work in my life is something like water but water that carries it's own life and vitality.

The sounds of water over the rocks as it slides down the course bounded by the banks of this stream reminds me that there is a course to my life...an arc to the story line.  My prayer is that the arc of my life will remind people of you, Lord Jesus.  That the banks and the rocks that form that course will be molded and moved by the work of your Holy Spirit in this heart of mine.

John 7:37-39 (NIV)

37... “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive.

Lord Jesus--Here is the promise you made to each of your followers. Not only is the Spirits offer coming into my life, but there is the promise that your Spirit will flow out of my life in an flow that is just like this creek.  Your Spirit longs to flow through me to the world that is parched all around me.  Your Spirit wants entrance into the rooms and conversations that make up my life.  He wants to flow through me in a way that is not restricted by my perceptions or my limited focus.

This promise is not meant to be the exception. It is meant to be the rule, the measure, the standard of life and conduct.  That by the presence of your followers in the world, in factories, and hospitals, in offices and in board rooms that through them the life giving water of your Spirit can gain entrance.

Really, the picture  of a creek on the side of the road is too small a picture.  Your Spirit is really more like the ocean expanse the limits of which I will never see...of your grace made available and stretched out before me.

Lord Jesus--In this day that awaits me, let me be that life giving water that only comes from your Holy Spirits action in my life with power and vitality.  Let the Spirit flow as you see fit. Work in this day as you see fit.




No comments:

Post a Comment