Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Notes the Lord:Mercy is More Important Than the Rules


Matthew 12
Lord of the Sabbath 1At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, "Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath."

Lord Jesus--You were there on that 7th day of creation and you knew the need for rest. You were the agent by which creation came into being. It is such a strange observation that these men were making to the Lord of all creation. Calling the You to be accountable when you were there during the first sabbath. Thank you for you patience with these men and with me, when I can't see the big picture and I am lost in the trees and looking for the forest.

3He answered, "Haven't you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests.

Lord Jesus--You used this as a teaching moment in their lives, even if there were not open to the lesson. One of their heroes was David. He broke the law when necessity left no other route. Do let me get lost in the details and miss the real message.

5Or haven't you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple desecrate the day and yet are innocent?

The message to these leaders was that there was no intent on the part of the disciples to do anything other than meet the need of the moment, just like the priest do every Sabbath.

6I tell you that one greater than the temple is here. 7If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. 8For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Lord Jesus--There is such a need for mercy. I need Your mercy everyday, and I need to show Your mercy to those who are around me. You don't look for rituals to be observed so much as a heart of mercy to be demonstrated everyday.
In this day Lord that will start around me in just a few hours help me to show mercy and to accept Your mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment