Friday, March 19, 2010

Notes to the Lord:The Dance


Scripture Reflections Matthew 11:16-19
16"To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others: 17" 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge and you did not mourn.'

Lord Jesus--So much of the time I am like a child...I always want something other than what I have been given. So often, I have Attention Deficient Disorder of the soul. I am quick to lose the beat ...and to start another song ...or just not play at all at the times when I am called. But you call me to the dance that surrounds me...the dance and the steps that you would love for me to learn. Why is it so hard for me to learn?

18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

Lord Jesus--It was the same in the generation that you ministered in. They struggled to dance even though they heard your music. They did not fully identify with John and thought that he was a bit out of step with his culture and his relevance was in question. He was too much the ascetic, his example and his diet was more than the people could handle. But when you came to them they found fault with Your presentation, you were too close to them...you were at their dinners and parties and did not play the "Rabbi" role well from their point of view. They wanted to find a reason to find fault, a reason to not believe.

You are so right... wisdom is known by her children. Some of these same people to whom Your were preaching and ministering would in just a few short years see their children died in the sack of Jerusalem. Literally true...wisdom was known by the children of these very people to whom you were speaking.

So what is the application Lord Jesus to me? What are you asking of me? To listen to Your call closer...to follow the steps even when my feet want to move in a different direction. When I fail to listen, I just plain fail. The music of Your dance surrounds me, you ask me to let it move me with grace. You call me to the dance.

Lord Jesus in this day that will begin in a bit, help me to dance Your dance with grace and courage, even when I might want to run, help me to stick to the song with endurance and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment