Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Notes to the Lord: Vulnerable and Usable

Scripture Reflections:Matthew 10:16-20
16I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Lord Jesus--You do the sending and it is to places where I would never think that I would end up. I think I get the sheep part among wolves...at times it feels more like being a guppy swimming among sharks but the teeth are just as big...the dangers just as real. In the middle of a world that is structured so that I am the end of the food chain it requires that I have a level of street smartness about me.

One translation puts it..."therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." Wise in the sense of knowing when it is best to just be silent and when it is essential to speak...knowing in all of it that I am not an eagle with talons that can rip and tear apart prey...I am called be a dove the symbol of peace in the middle of a war torn world.

17"Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synagogues. 18On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles.

Lord Jesus--These are times when I am aware of the need for a level of guardedness even in the middle of clear vulnerability. The offense of the cross has become clearer in these days...when acceptance and tolerance have been turned on their heads. If I disagree with a lifestyle choice it does not mean I am intolerant...it just means I disagree.

19But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

In those times that may be coming sooner than I would like to think, there will be no need to worry about message. It will be given at the time when it is needed. There will be no need for extensive or intensive sermon preparation, in the middle of persecution the Spirit of God will be active in a way that is unusually and powerful. Even so come quickly, Lord Jesus.

Lord Jesus in this day help me to be open to your leading to be vulnerable for those moments of grace and to be settled in your leading in this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment