Monday, August 15, 2011

Notes to the Lord:Father is Listening


Psalm 4

004 [4.1] When I call, give me answers. God, take my side! Once, in a tight place, you gave me room; Now I’m in trouble again: grace me! hear me!

Father--David came to you in the middle of his need. Almost like a child, in a play ground fight...asking you to take up his cause. I can relate to the need for grace. I need it all the time. I can relate to the need for answers. The reality is I want you to take my side much like a spoiled child demanding my way.

There is and element of fox hole praying here, Lord. I know the feeling I have been there often. It is a slice of life prayer...David could have been writing this on his ipad as he sat in the park on Broadway.

[4.2] You rabble—how long do I put up with your scorn? How long will you lust after lies? How long will you live crazed by illusion? [4.3] Look at this: look Who got picked by GOD! He listens the split second I call to him.

Father God--David knew about those who wanted him to fall. There is protection in your grace. You listen and intervene in the way that you think is best.

[4.4-5] Complain if you must, but don’t lash out. Keep your mouth shut, and let your heart do the talking. Build your case before God and wait for his verdict. [4.6-7] Why is everyone hungry for more? “More, more,” they say. “More, more.”I have God’s more-than-enough, More joy in one ordinary day [4.7-8] Than they get in all their shopping sprees. At day’s end I’m ready for sound sleep, For you, GOD, have put my life back together.

Father God--There is a ongoing process of depending on you for the next step. You are seeking to deepen me. You want me to include you in my day and to send you just these kind of prayers in the middle of my everyday. It is true that in you I find peace and grace that can not be brought with more material things in my life. Sound sleep at the end of the day come from following after and and depending on you to put my life back together.

“Flash Prayers” is an excellent idea developed by Frank Laubach in his many books on prayer. He purposed to learn how to live so that “to see anybody will be to pray! To hear anybody, as these children talking, that boy crying, may be to pray!”11 Flashing hard and straight prayers at people is a great thrill and can bring interesting results. I have tried it, inwardly asking the joy of the Lord and a deeper awareness of his presence to rise up within every person I meet. Sometimes people reveal no response, but other times they turn and smile as if addressed. In a bus or plane we can invite Jesus to walk down the aisles, touching people on the shoulder and saying, “I love you. My greatest delight would be to forgive you and give you good things. You have beautiful qualities still in the bud that I would unfold if only you will say yes. I’d love to rule your life if you’ll let me.” Frank Laubach has suggested that if thousands of us would experiment with “swishing prayers” at everyone we meet and would share the results, we could learn a great deal about how to pray for others. We could change the whole atmosphere of a nation if thousands of us would constantly throw a cloak of prayer around everyone in our circle of nearness. “Units of prayer combined, like drops of water, make an ocean which defies resistance.”
Foster, Richard J. (2004-05-11). Celebration Of Discipline - 25th Anniversary (pp. 44-45).

As the
se feet take me through the coming day...let me pray flash prayers for those I encounter in this day...

No comments:

Post a Comment