Thursday, August 11, 2011

Praying the Psalms -Help!


003 [3.1-2] A DAVID PSALM, WHEN HE ESCAPED FOR HIS LIFE FROM ABSALOM, HIS SON

GOD! Look! Enemies past counting! Enemies sprouting like mushrooms, Mobs of them all around me, roaring their mockery: “Hah! No help for him from God!”

Father God--It isn’t all pretty. There are times when your people, blessed people, the people of God are overwhelmed. It looks as if they are under resourced, and without hope. David felt on many scores as if he were down for the count. Civil war and insurrection surrounded him fomented by his favored son.

[3.3-4] But you, GOD, shield me on all sides; You ground my feet, you lift my head high; With all my might I shout up to GOD, His answers thunder from the holy mountain.

Father God--Even when I am experiencing my worse fears in real time, you are with me. I am not alone and you will answer. David in the middle of great personal loss and even when his life was in danger found reason for praise. He found a firm place to stand and hold his ground.

[3.5-6] I stretch myself out. I sleep.Then I’m up again—rested, tall and steady, Fearless before the enemy mobs Coming at me from all sides. [3.7] Up, GOD! My God, help me! Slap their faces, First this cheek, then the other, Your fist hard in their teeth! [3.8] Real help comes from GOD. Your blessing clothes your people!

Father God--In the middle of this day that will start all around me in just a few moments remind me that you are the one who fights the battles. I need only rest in your grace. Real help comes from you in ways and means that are beyond, above and around me even when I am not aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment