Saturday, August 20, 2011

Praying the Psalms: Time to Party



A DAVID PSALM

Psalm 5
005 [5.1-3] Listen, GOD! Please, pay attention! Can you make sense of these ramblings, my groans and cries? King-God, I need your help. Every morning you’ll hear me at it again. Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on your altar and watch for fire to descend.

Father God--David was beginning his day much like I am. He was laying out the hurt and the praise right on the alter. He laid them in his mind and heart on the place where they were offered to you...a place where they would be consumed and gone. I like that picture. There are too many things that I bring to the alter, only to pick them back up. I worry about them and they end up consuming too much of me David had it exactly right. He let go of them right where they could be consumed.

[5.4-6] You don’t socialize with Wicked, or invite Evil over as your houseguest. Hot-Air-Boaster collapses in front of you; you shake your head over Mischief-Maker. GOD destroys Lie-Speaker; Blood-Thirsty and Truth-Bender disgust you.

Not everyone has the luxury of letting things go into your hands...Remind me, Father, of the load that some are carrying with no relief in sight. I can go on a rant about the people that are filled with hot air and are blood thirsty, truth benders. But bringing them before you in prayer provides me with a way to let go and let you work. It looks like David was a master at that process.

[5.7-8] And here I am, your invited guest— it’s incredible! I enter your house; here I am, prostrate in your inner sanctum, Waiting for directions to get me safely through enemy lines.

Father--Thank you for this time and this day that I can start with you. The sun calls me to the possibilities for this day with you with me. I wait here in the silence knowing you will lead, speak and guide through the maze of responsibilities that await me.

[5.9-10] Every word they speak is a land mine; their lungs breathe out poison gas. Their throats are gaping graves, their tongues slick as mudslides. Pile on the guilt, God! Let their so-called wisdom wreck them. Kick them out! They’ve had their chance.

Father God-- Keep me safe in an environment that many times I only have the slightest glimpe of the dangers that surround. I can relate to David’s feelings...

[5.11-12]But you’ll welcome us with open arms when we run for cover to you. Let the party last all night! Stand guard over our celebration. You are famous, GOD, for welcoming God-seekers, for decking us out in delight.

Father God--You are the one I run to. There is protection, provision and partying in your plans for your people. Celebration surrounds you...welcomes are your speciality. Why party when enemies are surrounding? You are my protector.

Peterson, Eugene H. (2006-06-15). The Message Remix 2.0: The Bible In contemporary Language

No comments:

Post a Comment