Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Praying the Psalms - Worlds Of Wonder


Psalm 8 (part 2)

3-4 I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous, your handmade sky-jewelry, Moon and stars mounted in their settings. Then I look at my micro-self and wonder, Why do you bother with us? Why take a second look our way?

Father God--I think I get what David was talking about. The night sky is so vast. The creation is vast that you have made and sustain. In contrast to the moon and the stars my concerns seem so small. Any yet you sent your only Son to this place. Amazing.

5-8 Yet we've so narrowly missed being gods, bright with Eden's dawn light. You put us in charge of your handcrafted world, repeated to us your Genesis-charge, Made us lords of sheep and cattle, even animals out in the wild, Birds flying and fish swimming, whales singing in the ocean deeps. 9 God, brilliant Lord, your name echoes around the world.

Father God--You created the world that surrounds me. The universe that you created is amazing and astounding. In the middle of it all you placed man. So often we mess it up. We overlook our mandate to care for and superintend your created order. Or, we want to somehow equate ourselves with the animals that we are supposed to watch over.

Father God--You call me to your work, your mission and your grace lived out in a world that is amazing and hauntingly beautiful. In it’s best moments creation echos to me of your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment