Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Praying the Psalms: Wanting to Be Real




Bold Psalm 1

[1.1] How well God must like you— you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon, you don’t slink along Dead-End Road, you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College.

Father God--As I start to pray this psalm, I realize that I have been blessed. You have lead me away from places that I have been in the past...out of “SIn Saloon.” I remember some of the those days...other’s are a bit hazy. I remember being at “Dead-End road. The emotions flood in if I let them...fear, loneliness, frustrated depression. Those feelings form their expression in “smart-mouth” sarcastic humor that really was just laughing at the hollowness of my soul.

You lead me from that place...thank you.

[1.2-3] Instead you thrill to GOD’s Word, you chew on Scripture day and night. You’re a tree replanted in Eden, bearing fresh fruit every month, Never dropping a leaf, always in blossom.

Father--I have to be honest. I haven’t thought of this place I am at as Eden, but I have this growing desire to read your word. It rattles around in my brain and comes out at times when I don’t expect it and in ways that are frankly suprising to me. The promise here is of a fruitfulness that is not seasonal but continuous. I never noticed that before. Thank you for that promise given from your hand.


[1.4-5] You’re not at all like the wicked, who are mere windblown dust— Without defense in court, unfit company for innocent people.

Father--The description of the wicked, I can understand emotionally. I have been there...windbown, rootless dust...dry hot air...without an advocate...unfit to be around regular people. Somehow thinking that my spiritual condition was written on my forehead somewhere for everyone to read.

[1.6] GOD charts the road you take. The road they take is Skid Row.

Father--Thank you that my road is one that you know. You are charting the way that at times seems meandering to my feet. As I walk this road of faith you are with me. It is only through your grace and unmerited favor expressed in your Son that I am on this road in the first place. Thank you for the process of becoming that you have set me on. It really is a process of becoming real.

On Becoming Real

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?"asked the Rabbit. "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt." "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally,by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." "I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

Bianco, Margery Williams (2004-03-01). The Velveteen Rabbit (Kindle Location 30). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment