Monday, September 5, 2011

Praying the Psalms -You are in Control


Psalm 9

1-2 I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart, I'm writing the book on your wonders.
I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy;
I'm singing your song, High God.
3-4 The day my enemies turned tail and ran,
they stumbled on you and fell on their faces.
You took over and set everything right;
when I needed you, you were there, taking charge.

Father--You are acting on behalf of your people. The timing is in your hands. The reality is that you are working in power right now on my behalf...on the behalf of your people. David identified your actions on his behalf and could not hold back his praise for your mighty acts.

5-6 You blow the whistle on godless nations;
you throw dirty players out of the game,
wipe their names right off the roster.
Enemies disappear from the sidelines,
their reputation trashed,
their names erased from the halls of fame. 

Father--The image is of you overlooking and engaged in limit setting and overseeing the activities that occur in the world. Sometimes the “game” seems out of control from my perspective. Here, David is clear that you are the umpire. There is no one who is beyond your ability to kick out of the game.
7-8 God holds the high center,
he sees and sets the world's mess right.
He decides what is right for us earthlings,
gives people their just deserts.
Father--There is justice that is coming. As I think about your justice, I am reminded of my need for grace. Grace that is beyond my ability to understand is always a prayer away.

As I look forward to this day Lord remind me of your control and grace that sustains me.

No comments:

Post a Comment