Sunday, September 11, 2011

Praying the Psalms:Places of Darkness and Light

Psalm 23 (part two)

[23.4] Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I’m not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd’s crook makes me feel secure.

Father God--Sometimes the valley stretches out before me and I know it is coming.  I can even see it miles away.  When I am on the mountain seeing death valley laid out before me I wonder if I can make it through to the other side.

It is as I put one foot in front of the other then the evidences of your presence becomes clear to me.  It is in the dark of the valley with ghost-like fears surrounding me that I depend on your hand, and find it. The valley's are when the sound  of your footfalls are so much more clearer right next to me.  I wish I had lofty visions, but most often I find you right next to me ...sweating with me...reaching with me...passing me the hammer and nails.

I am writing this as the ten year remembrance of 9-11 is just concluding. The image of an aged Paul Simon singing The Sounds of Silence was haunting and somehow iconic of our age. America knows of loss that is senseless, and continues to have courage to look for something beyond the silence.  Speak with clarity to this age, Father. 

[23.5] You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing.

Father God--When I am open to your leading...when I can let go of my fear, anxiety and dread, you are able to create in the most unlikely places and times a table of peace.  How do you do that?  It is not occasionally that this happens but consistently as I am open to your leading and not closed in on myself.

 [23.6] Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I’m back home in the house of GOD for the rest of my life.


Father--Thank you for the beauty and love that finds it's way into everyday...simple things a song, a smile, a conversation, a good meal, the love of friends and family. A church on a hill reminds me that you are never far from me. There will come a time when loss, darkness and silence will end.  We will see each other face to face, prepare me for that day. 


Peterson, Eugene H. (2006-06-15). The Message Remix 2.0: The Bible In contemporary Language (p. 735). NavPress. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment