Friday, November 6, 2009

Κύριος Notes :Beside Two Criminals with Paradise on Your Mind

Adoration


My Jesus I Love Thee
I love Thee because Thou hast first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary’s tree;
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

Scripture Reflection: Luke 23
32Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. 33When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

This was just another day at work for the solders as they lead you to the cross. It was a day like many others in thier day in Judea. They took you to the hill outside of town with two other common criminals. As they divided the clothes that you had on your back they were gambling for them. They wanted to make a little money and you were dieing. Forgiveness was on your mind and heart as you were dieing.

35The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, "He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, the Chosen One."
36The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar 37and said, "If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself."

Crucifixion was such a upfront and personal way to die. People talking and continuing the diatribe aim at you until the end. Sneering at what cost? They had won the day with the political powers and you were dieing. Yet they had to come, watch and sneer.

38There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."
42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

In the middle of death you were thinking of this one beside you and of bringing him along with you. Lord Jesus as I reflect on your death once again this morning I am reminded of the reality of your sacrifice for me. You remind me that paradise is never more than a few heart beats away...or maybe the lack of a few heart beats away.

Thank you Lord Jesus for the cross and for your death for me. The Sinless One for the sinful... the One who always knew where he was for the lost. Today Lord Jesus help me live out that reality of Your grace alive within me
.

No comments:

Post a Comment