Saturday, November 7, 2009

Κύριος Notes :Dark at Noon

Adoration

The Wonderful Cross
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride

See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ever such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown

O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace draw near and bless
Your name

Scripture Reflection:Luke 23
44It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour, 45for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two.

It was around noon when you died and the sun could not shine as the Son of God died. The shadows of darkness gather all around this account. Darkened and hardened hearts sneering at the death of a miracle worker, the tears of the women and a few brave men who gathered to watch Your passing Lord. The curtain that separated the Holy of Holies from the rest of the temple was torn in two. The separation of God's people from the presence of God was taken away by your death Lord Jesus.

46Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.

Your life was freely given. You submitted to the Father's will. You could have called out at any time and been rescued by a legion of angels, but you didn't.

47The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, "Surely this was a righteous man." 48When all the people who had gathered to witness this sight saw what took place, they beat their breasts and went away. 49But all those who knew him, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things.

There were those who watched from a distance powerless to change the outcome and yet connected to the events so inextricably.There are times when I feel just like those who followed you from Galilee watching at the cross with little that I can do to influence the outcome of events outside of my control or input.

But the cross is not the end of the story. It is a part of the work of grace, there is nothing that is to be done at the cross but mourn the lost of what could have been. There is a powerlessness that I can not ever get away from. I will always be a sinner saved by amazing grace.

In the day that is coming in just a few hours Lord Jesus help me to live as you would have me to. I give you the day that is all to soon dawning in front of me. Work as you see fit, may the mystery and the power of the cross lead me in this coming day.

No comments:

Post a Comment