Friday, February 12, 2010

Notes to the Lord: During the storm


Scripture Reflections Matthew 8:23-27

23Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.

Lord Jesus--Storms are a part of the world that surrounds me. There are so many storms that rage in this life right now…a war in a far off land, economic upheaval, earthquakes and need. I wonder what the thoughts and the feelings of the disciples were as they saw you sleeping with the storm rising. There were so few times when you were able to rest undisturbed in this life. So many people tugging at your sleeve and your heart, so many things that needed to be done…always another person in need of healing.

At first I am sure that these experienced fishermen at home in the lake were certain of their abilities and the situation. “We can handle this. The master is tired, let him rest”—must have gone through their minds. And then the waves got bigger and the wind got more intense and they began to take on water. I wonder if they were praying as they bailed out the water. Were they raising a prayer to the Father as they worked the oars and adjusted the sail? Maybe snippets of the prayer that You taught them was on their lips as they feverishly worked at the situation--”Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven…even on this lake in the middle of this storm.”

25The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

Lord Jesus-- The disciples delayed and labored request of you, it sounds like some of my prayers in the middle of the storm. “Get me out of this. Save me I am going down for the last time.” You are sovereign, all powerful, all knowing and know the words of power and grace to speak which will bring calm into my little world. It is the why and the when of the storms that cause me to wonder? Why now? Why here?

But those are not even the right questions to be asking…I need to learn to ask what…what is it that I can take out of this storm that you seek to show me and want me to integrate into my life. You have so often used storms in my life to teach me Lord…about your power to save…about your grace to meet the need…about hope in the middle of darkness…about light where I would never expect it to shine again.

26He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

A simple question and yet it is profound. Would the Lord of the universe die on a lake in the middle of nowhere because of a little wind and waves? If this were the place they were going to die, why fear? The same Lord that got into the boat with them would be with them right to the gates of heaven.

So why do I fear? I fear because sometimes I wonder if I can run the race…keep the faith in the middle of the waves that seem so much bigger than I am. Emmanuel is with me where ever I am, and he is at work. I may not know it…I may wonder at how the situation will eventuate but I am not in the waves alone.

27The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment