Sunday, February 28, 2010

Notes to the Lord: With Eternity on My Mind



Scripture Reflection: John 14
1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.

Lord Jesus--As you were taking time with your disciples during one of your last teaching opportunities thoughts of the eternal were on your mind. The very first thing that you thought of was the fact that even in times of great change and disruption, God can and should be trusted.

You remind me that there is no need for allowing the exterior changes that take place to trouble the center of who I am. The connection with You is not impacted by the events that shift over time and circumstance. It is not about needing to be safe or cared for, that is never in question. You are the Lord no matter what happens in the world that surrounds me. You will provide for my needs.

2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.

Lord Jesus in the middle of a world where the things that have formed the context of my life are in change and flux, I am always safe and will have a place with you. You continue the preparations that started over two thousand ago...a place for Your people.

I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you,

Lord Jesus— You knew what it would cost you to make this rag-tag group safe and yet your thoughts were on their needs. Your thoughts as you looked at your disciples that night turned to the coming days that would shake them to the roots of their souls.

These moments before your arrest would be etched on their minds with the clarity that only pain and loss can do. It would be with tears and gasps of hearts hurting and cheeks wet with the salt of their tears that the disciples would think back on these words. They would hold on to these words of quiet comfort though years of hardships and journeys yet to be started.

I hold on to these words tonight Lord Jesus. You have not left me here so far from home alone. You have given so much. Love, family, people who’s relationships have formed my view of you and your grace. With cheeks still wet with tears I remember who you are….as I watch you work in the lives of those I love best struggle with change and loss, I know that you will work out all things for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to purposes…there are no accidents or interruptions in the journey of you shaping my heart to be like yours.

I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."

Thank you Lord Jesus for the hope that you remind me of, you will come back. You are the hope all creation longs for and looks for even if we lack the words for it at times. In that reunion there will be no missing pieces in this heart you have given to me. There will be no more lapses, limitations or lacks. With Your return you will bring the completion of all things...even the completion of this small, broken and limited heart that seems to get such a twisted picture of You at times.

Lord Jesus--I look to the eastern sky over snow cover hills this morning, looking for Your coming…help me to be faithful in this journey still yet to be completed...even so come quickly Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment