Monday, October 12, 2009

Κύριος Notes: Denial X3

Adoration

Yes, I Will
Will I stumble in the darkness?
In my weakness, when I feel afraid
Hear me Jesus, Hear me Jesus, when I call Your name
Oh help me Lord, won't You help me Lord
Please help me Lord
Would you help me Lord
Follow You Jesus, all the way up that hill
Follow You Jesus, all the way up that hill
To the cross where the river runs
Crimson even still, yes I will
Follow You Lord, I will
Bebo Norman

Scripture Reflection:Luke 22

54Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance.

Why did Peter follow at a distance? Lord Jesus others ran away and were scattered as you said they would be...But here is Peter wanting to follow but not close enough to get caught. Lord Jesus help me to follow so close that I am right there with you. Peter was close but not close enough.

This was one of those times in Peter's life where he must have looked back on with sincere and utter regret. It would not be the last time that he would look at what he had done and wonder why, how,...was that even me?

55But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. 56A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, "This man was with him."
57But he denied it. "Woman, I don't know him," he said.

It was a unnamed servant brought Peter to the point of denial. What power this poor, lowly servant girl had on this big fishermen from Galilee a man weathered by the storms on the Sea of Galilee was wither by the voice of a young servant girl in the dark beside the fire.

58A little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." "Man, I am not!" Peter replied.
59About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean."
60Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. 61The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter.

Lord Jesus, You knew what Peter would go through...you knew when he went through it and you understood his need. You understand my need...you know when I am going to make a mess of it all...and you are there.

Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." 62And he went outside and wept bitterly.

There is regret when I don't measure up Lord...there are tears in the middle of denial. Truth be told Peter and I are not far apart sometimes. I find myself weeping bitter tears of a reality that has been impacted by my inability to just stand my ground to a servant girl.

What did denial teach Peter? That there are lessons to be learned even in denial...That Your love reaches beyond our own inability to follow...That without your intervention in our lives we are not enough to meet the challenge...That hope is in Your work and word for our everyday lives...That you don't leave us in the dark for long.

Lord Jesus help me to live up to these few simple lines in a life that is more complex than it needs to be.

Follow You Jesus, all the way up that hill
Follow You Jesus, all the way up that hill
To the cross where the river runs
Crimson even still, yes I will
Follow You Lord, I will

No comments:

Post a Comment