Saturday, October 24, 2009

Κύριος Notes :Politics Power and Accountability

Adoration


Once Again
Jesus Christ, I think upon Your sacrifice
You became nothing, poured out to death
Many times I've wondered at Your gift of life
And I'm in that place once again
I'm in that place once again
And once again I look upon the cross where You died
I'm humbled by Your mercy and I'm broken inside
Once again I thank You
Once again I pour out my life

Scripture Reflection: Luke 23
12That day Herod and Pilate became friends—before this they had been enemies.


Politics makes for strange friendships. When I think of the present American political environment I realize that politics have not changed much in 2000 years. Still there is the push to make or find middle ground. I wonder how much Christians have sacrificed in search for a voice in the political process.

13Pilate called together the chief priests, the rulers and the people, 14and said to them, "You brought me this man as one who was inciting the people to rebellion. I have examined him in your presence and have found no basis for your charges against him. 15Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us; as you can see, he has done nothing to deserve death. 16Therefore, I will punish him and then release him."

Pilate could see that You were being set up. He was even willing to be involved to a point...punishing you within an inch of Your life. But he did not want to agree with Your murder at the hands of these men.

Pilate the one who regularly would condemn innocents as an example of Roman power and for the rule of terror when needed, did not want to be involved in your death. Lord Jesus, I think of Pilate when I think of political power without courage and without accountability for exercise. There is a need for courage that You frequent call for from with me. I wonder if I am not sometimes like Pilate aware of the truth and yet frozen by my surroundings into following where I need not go.

18With one voice they cried out, "Away with this man! Release Barabbas to us!" 19(Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder.)
20Wanting to release Jesus, Pilate appealed to them again. 21But they kept shouting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"
22For the third time he spoke to them: "Why? What crime has this man committed? I have found in him no grounds for the death penalty. Therefore I will have him punished and then release him."
23But with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed. 24So Pilate decided to grant their demand. 25He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will.


I think of that crowd and the power that they could have had for justice...many of these same people were there while you were teaching in the temple courts. Many may have seen miracles happen before their eyes and yet the cries came from their mouth's to crucify. I wonder if the high priest's servant was in that crowd and I wonder if his ear burned when he thought of how recently he had felt your healing touch. Did the words stick in his throat?

I always would like to push away from these events and some how believe that I am qualitatively different than the people that sent You to Your death Lord Jesus. The reality is that I am not...I walk away from this encounter realizing that I am not different...I am not better...I an just saved by your grace. Nothing more.


And once again I look upon the cross where You died
I'm humbled by Your mercy and I'm broken inside
Once again I thank You
Once again I pour out my life

No comments:

Post a Comment