Monday, October 5, 2009

Κύριος Notes:Unfinished

Adoration
Perfect People
Suddenly it's like a weight is lifted
When you hear the words that you are loved
He knows where you are and where you've been
And you never have to go there again
T
here's no such thing as perfect people
There's no such thing as a perfect life
So come as you are, broken and scarred
Lift up your heart and be amazed
And be changed by a perfect God
Who lived and died to give new life
To heal our imperfections
So look up and see love. Let grace be enough
Natalie Grant

Scripture Reflections: Luke 22

24Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest.

The timing of this dispute is so tragic and ironic. As the first communion was celebrated the core group that Jesus had spent his active ministry establishing was discussing who was greatest in their little crew. From the point of view of the disciples, they were expecting that Jesus was going to be setting up his earthly kingdom and they wanted to establish who was most important...they wanted to know pecking order.

25Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. 26But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

Lord Jesus you pointed them to your example...to what you have lived out for them in front of them day and night. Greatness is determined by servant hood not by authority that is exercised over those who have less power. Greatness is demonstrated by the master washing the feet of the disciples. Greatness is the master touching the leper who had not been touched for years. Greatness is determined by faithfulness to the call of God.

28You are those who have stood by me in my trials. 29And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, 30so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The kingdom on earth that the disciples were looking for was set up only in the hearts up until now. There is fulfillment that still waits here Lord Jesus. The disciples waited and watched that night knowing nothing of what the next few hours would bring.

Lord Jesus I am left thinking of the places where the pieces just don't fit together yet...the unfinished parts there are to me, just like that night found the disciples unfinished. It may be that the finish they needed could only be brought about by your departure. They needed growth and spiritual formation that could only come without your foot steps beside them everyday.

So why is it Lord that I get so out of sorts when I have not felt You beside me for a while? There are times when You seem to close. Then there are those times when for all my attempts at connection I am left with no feeling, just the discipline of living out Your word each day. And then in the middle of the obedience I trip over You as if you were just a step or two behind me all the time.

Tonight as I write this I realize that all that I am is utterly dependant on You...I can not live this life out without You. Don't leave me here this far from home. As I sit here tonight the darkness surrounds me, the dogs are asleep at my feet and the house is quiet with just the hint of coming fall in the chill in the air. I realize that these times when I don't feel your closeness are really the times of growth in my soul, they are the times when I am in the Jesus school of learning the walk and not just the talk.

Teach me the walk step upon step, day upon day...a life that is lived out with genuineness, grace and a hint of Your unfolding plan on the edges of my sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment