Thursday, October 8, 2009

Κύριος Notes: A Prayer Away From Heaven's Strength

Adoration

His Strength Is Perfect
I can do all things
Through Christ who gives me strength,
But sometimes I wonder what He can do through me;
No great success to show,
No glory on my own,
Yet in my weakness He is there to let me know . . .
His strength is perfect when our strength is gone;
He’ll carry us when we can’t carry on.
Raised in His power, the weak become strong;
His strength is perfect, His strength is perfect
Scripture Reflections: Luke 22
39Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation."

In the middle of temptation, at times the last thing I think of is prayer Lord Jesus...prayer was the first thing that you thought of in your hour of need. That is a fundamental difference. Lord Jesus don't let me miss the fundamentals in the middle of the complex.

Lord Jesus the prayer that you asked the disciples to pray was not strength during temptation but that the disciples would not fall into temptation...as if it was a location, and something that can be avoided...reminds me of the prayer that you taught the disciples..."lead us not into temptation."

In this day that will begin in just a few short hours, may I not fall into temptation, and if I have to travel through it because there is no route around it, please send strength from heavenly places.

41He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.

Lord Jesus, yielding to the Father's will, you found strength from beyond this world. Victory is not found in pulling myself up by my boot straps, but by yielding to the One that made my feet in the first place.

44And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Lord Jesus, you went through the agony of the garden, the court and the cross. Thank you for the fact that in the middle of temptation you yielded to the will of the Father.

45When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46"Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."

At this point the disciples understood what was coming. They understood and yet did not find the strength to pray when they needed to, it was a lesson that would take time from them to learn...just like it has taken time for me to learn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment