Friday, March 13, 2009

A Day's Quiet Time


Κύριος Notes
3/13/2009 5:44AM
Saratoga Springs, NY
Adoration
An Invitation
Be with me in this day
I will be coming and going
I will be listening and talking
I will be laughing and crying
I will be praying and listening
Be with me in this day Lord.

Scripture Reflections: Luke 4
To Set the Burdened Free
14-15Jesus returned to Galilee powerful in the Spirit. News that he was back spread through the countryside. He taught in their meeting places to everyone's acclaim and pleasure.

Galilee was a small area. It is possible that some who You preached to knew where you were from...that they had bought tables and chairs or plows or oxen yokes from the family woodshop.

16-21He came to Nazareth where he had been reared. As he always did on the Sabbath, he went to the meeting place.

I am glad that you went to synague on Sabbath...that you were there when the Word was read...that you were took part even if the people may have been ridged and stuck, but were also a part of those who were striving after God.

When he stood up to read, he was handed the scroll of the prophet Isaiah. Unrolling the scroll, he found the place where it was written, God's Spirit is on me; he's chosen me to preach the Message of good news to the poor, Sent me to announce pardon to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, To set the burdened and battered free, to announce, "This is God's year to act!"
I want the Spirit of God to be upon me...to be with me to be in me all the time...that I might know the reality of the resurrection within my heart and life and in my soul. Lord work with in me...work around me...work through me...change my life and heart to refelct you.
He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the assistant, and sat down. Every eye in the place was on him, intent. Then he started in, "You've just heard Scripture make history. It came true just now in this place."

It is a done deal when you are there Lord. It is done because you say it and it comes into being...and the word was with God and the word was God...all things were made by him and without him was not anyting made that was made.

22All who were there, watching and listening, were surprised at how well he spoke. But they also said, "Isn't this Joseph's son, the one we've known since he was a youngster?"

They could not get past the fact that God was using someone that they had thought that they had known in a new an unique way.

Is that something that I have a problem with Lord...am I resistant to seeing your hand at work when it is not what I expect...or what fits neatly into my catorgies?

Help me not to get hardening of the catagories...


23-27He answered, "I suppose you're going to quote the proverb, 'Doctor, go heal yourself. Do here in your hometown what we heard you did in Capernaum.'

Jesus knew these people better than any on planet Earth.Yet they did not really know him...they did not know really see who he was.

Well, let me tell you something: No prophet is ever welcomed in his hometown. Isn't it a fact that there were many widows in Israel at the time of Elijah during that three and a half years of drought when famine devastated the land, but the only widow to whom Elijah was sent was in Sarepta in Sidon?

This widow was the one who was faithful...the one who listened to the call of God. She listened to Elijah and took the risk of helping him even when it meant that she and her son could die with the prophet getting a small meal immediately before.

And there were many lepers in Israel at the time of the prophet Elisha but the only one cleansed was Naaman the Syrian."

2 Kings 5

8 When Elisha the man of God heard that the king of Israel had torn his robes, he sent him this message: "Why have you torn your robes? Have the man come to me and he will know that there is a prophet in Israel." 9 So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha's house. 10 Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, "Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed."
11 But Naaman went away angry and said, "I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. 12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than any of the waters of Israel? Couldn't I wash in them and be cleansed?" So he turned and went off in a rage.
13 Naaman's servants went to him and said, "My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, 'Wash and be cleansed'!" 14 So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.

So what was the point of the story? Here the prophet was a relunctant healer, but was effective.

Naaman was not healed in the way that he wanted to be...he did not recieve the reception that he thought that he should be getting.

It just did not turn they way a person of consequence should have things turn out...not even a visit from the prophet...no validation of the possibility of getting healed. Naanman was upset about the method of being healed...arguing about the deck chair as the ship is sinking.


28-30That set everyone in the meeting place seething with anger. They threw him out, banishing him from the village, then took him to a mountain cliff at the edge of the village to throw him to his doom, but he gave them the slip and was on his way.

It is interesting that Jesus went from the desert where he was tempted to the desert of his home town where they were going to kill him because he did not fit into what they understood about him...and where they took him to a mountain cliff...much like Satan and he slipped away from them.

You could have slipped away from the crowd that came for you on Good Friday but you didn't...you went there to save us...you went there because the Father asked you...you went there knowing what it would cost you.


No comments:

Post a Comment