Thursday, March 26, 2009

Κύριος Notes

Κύριος Notes
Adoration
Oh great light of the world
Fill up my soul
I’ll never mend here
So come make me whole
Oh great light of the world
Come to im-part
The light of your grace
To fill up my heart
(Bebo Norman)
Scripture Reflection
27After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. "Follow me," Jesus said to him, 28and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.
Sitting at his accounting table I am sure the good Jewish boy turned Roman tax collector would have never expected a Rabbi to want him for a student. It must have been a real surprise when Levi saw Jesus even talk to him let alone choose him to be his student.
I wonder if Levi ever recovered from this example of amazing grace. Levi experienced something radical when it came to grace. He knew that he was not good enough and yet Jesus saw him, and wanted him to follow. Jesus finds us where we are. Not where we would like to be, or where we should be, but where we are…in the middle of our life choices that even we can not always understand or explain. When Jesus saw and found Levi suddenly all of the choices that just seemed so important up to that time made no difference. Jesus had called him to be his student…his disciple. Career, stability in his life, an income, being able to party with his friends, all seemed like yesterday news.
Where have you surprised me with your amazing grace, Lord? Where are the places where I know without a doubt that you have called me, Lord?It is by the power of that invitation that the words “follow me” become a mission. I am sure that Levi remembered this interaction, a life time later. It was on the power of that invitation that his life changed for good.
Lord Jesus, make your call a mission in my life, remind me of it in this day that will be filled with distractions and noise. Remind me of your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment