Thursday, March 26, 2009

Κύριος Notes

Κύριος Notes
Adoration
Jesus, lover of my soul
Jesus, I will never let you go
You've taken me from the miry clay
Set my feet upon the rock and now I know
I love you, I need you, though my world may fall
I'll never let you go
My Savior, my closest friend
I will worship you until the very end.

Scripture Reflections: Luke 5
29Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. 30But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and 'sinners'
31Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

NPR reported yesterday the Quiverfull Movement the latest movement of conservative Christians is to encourage people who are Christians to have large families. The fear is that radical Islamic nations are reproducing at an alarming rate and Chrisitans will be out-numbered in the very near future. A very well intentioned grandmother came on who had only seven children and said what a waste it was that she didn’t have more children. It is over our own children that we have the most ability to impact for the gospel.


The report chilled me and made me think. I wonder what Jesus would think. I wonder about the missing generation that is not attending my church. Not to pick a fight with my fellow Christian brothers and sisters but Jesus did not come for the righteous to have more babies but for the sinners to come to repentance. The point is not how many babies another faith is having…the point is that we believe that Jesus is the way the truth and the life, that radical Islamic nations need Jesus just as much as our children and our grandchildren need Jesus. In reflecting on our recent past, we have not had the greatest track record in reaching either of those two groups for Jesus. God help us.


Don’t misunderstand me I love large families but what a twisted view the national media must have of the people that are called Christian.


As I think about this news report one more time, Jesus would not be worried about any of it. Jesus would just call us in our generation to be like him. To sit with the rowdies, the sinners and the disenfranchised at the lunch table and to show them what it really means to love God and to live like him in the middle of a crooked and perverse generation.

Maybe the Christians of the Quiverfull Movement could adopt the street kids of Warez, Mexico that the drug cartels are using to kill their enemies and who are ending up dead. I am wondering if that might be more in line with what Jesus would have us do. He came for the sinners, people just like you and I…people that were rejected, ignored, abandoned and over looked not just the children that are from Christian families.


Who are the people that I am missing that Jesus came to die for? Who are the people who I need to be spending my life reaching out to? Who are the overlooked that are right in front of me that I am missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment