Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Κύριος Notes


Adoration


Come Holy Spirit

Come Holy Spirit,fall afresh on me
Fill me with Your power,satisfy my needs
Only You can make me whole
Give me strength to make me grow
Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me

Scripture Reflection:Luke 19 --Drawn To You

1Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. 3He wanted to see who Jesus was, but being a short man he could not, because of the crowd. 4So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.

What made this little man run to find a place in the tree to see you from Lord? What drew Him to your message? ... To your side and to your message? I can relate to being short and missing things because of the tall people that surround you. I can relate to being drawn to you to your message, to the power of Your Holy Spirit at work in my soul. So climbing that gnarly old tree...he just wanted to get a glimpse of you.

I am left much like this little man climbing this sycamore tree...wanting to see you, hear you with clarity and power. Jesus what do you have to say to me today?

5When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today." 6So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.
7All the people saw this and began to mutter, "He has gone to be the guest of a 'sinner.' "

You reached out to this short rich man who made his money at other people's expense. Lord Jesus you reach out to those who make the effort to respond to the call of your Holy Spirit. You did not draw back from entering into his house even though the good people thought that it was a bad career move on your part.

8But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

As this short man interacted with you his life style and his accomplishments did not seem to be so important. His wealth and the way that he had gotten it stood smack in the middle of his desire to be as close to you as he could get.

As I think of this man and his making amends to those he cheated and as he gave away to the poor I wonder what he must have felt as he was giving away what had been so important just a short time ago. Money and his ability to make it, keep it and spend it had defined his life up to this point.

Now Jesus was a part of the definition of his life. That inclusion of You into his life...changed the whole equation of his life and what was important to him.


9Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

You came to seek and to save those who had been lost in money, power and greed...those who were lost in the things of this world that tangle and twist the soul to form into it mold. You continue to draw me to your call and to the changes that continues need to be made to be the man that you want me to be.

But this is not the end of the story...I wonder what Zacchaeus went on to do in the early church. Was he the one who was a part of the church leadership that made it possible for the early church to move out of Jerusalem when persecution pushed them beyond where they had gone before. I will have to ask him if I get to see him on the streets of gold.

In this day Lord Jesus give me the strength to respond to your call, to climb the tree one more time to see and hear you speak the words of grace.

Only You can make me whole
Give me strength to make me grow
Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me

1 comment:

  1. Kurt,
    I enjoyed your time in the Word. Thanks for sending me the link. :-)

    ReplyDelete