Thursday, September 3, 2009

Κύριος Notes


Adoration
Come Holy Spirit

Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me
Fill me with Your power,satisfy my needs
Only You can make me whole
Give me strength to make me grow
Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me


Scripture Reflection:Luke 19

I never noticed before Lord, that you taught this parable at Zacchaeus's house.

11While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. 12He said: "A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.'

14"But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We don't want this man to be our king.'

15"He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16"The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.'

The key character trait that you were looking for Lord was the ability to follow through and be faithful. How much of my life is learning that simple and yet needed trait of being faithful to what You set before me?

17" 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'

Remind me Lord that you are the one that I am accountable to and that all that you give me is really in trust. I am the caretaker not the owner of what you bring into my life. Help me take good care of what you have put into my hand.

18"The second came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned five more.'

19"His master answered, 'You take charge of five cities.'

Some receive more and some receive less. The amount is not as important as the way it is tended and cared for. Why is it that I am from time to time more concerned about the amount and what I have been given...than the One who gives it all to me in the first place? Lord forgive me when I focus on the gift and not the giver...when I compare instead of just do my best with the blessings that you have brought into my life for this season.

20"Then another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.'

22"His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23Why then didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?'

So at the very less what you are saying Lord is...if you aren't going to work hard and the very least work smart?

Where are the places where I need to work smarter and not harder?

24"Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.'

25" 'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!'

26"He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away.


So here I am in the middle of the time when You are asking me to tend you affairs. I am working on the tasks that You have set before me Lord Jesus. I am working bringing increase to what you have given to me. During this time when I am called to faithfulness help me to not draw back from risks that you would have me take, give me the wisdom to choose wisely.

I wonder what is the significance of this parable being told in the house of a former tax collector? Why did you tell this story with Zacchaeus present? Could it be that he needed to hear that faithfulness in the long term is what You are looking for...not just faithfulness in the grand gestures of restitution but also demonstrating faithfulness in the daily grind when it doesn't look like such a big thing to do. Faithfulness and the ability to endure over time at this thing call discipleship is what you are looking for from me. It could be that Zacchaeus needed to hear the call to discipleship that remained true to the call long after the King had departed on his journey to a distant country.

Lord Jesus help me to see the increase that You would like to see in this place and in this time. Help me to be faithful and to be the kind of person who you can be pleased with over the long haul and not just in the grand gestures. Help me to see all the relationships that I have as opportunities where your grace can be shown with power and enduring impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment