Saturday, January 9, 2010

Κύριος Notes:Beyond Staying Even


Praise

1 Kings 8:56
56 "Praise be to the LORD, who has given rest to his people Israel just as he promised. Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave through his servant Moses.

Scripture Reflection:Matthew 5

38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Lord Jesus –My first reaction is always to want to get even and the best defense is an offense. That is the wisdom of the world that surrounds me this morning. In fact, the level of violence is increasing all the time around me.

I do not deal with violent people at this point in my life. In the get even situations you know me so well my reaction is predictable even to me… It is to respond verbally with something that is sarcastic and funny, cutting or cruel. Your call is to something different, something that is beyond just continuing the interchange and getting even. You ask me to not respond with the same kind of response. You ask me to absorb the response…to turn the other cheek.

40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.

I live in such a litigious time Lord Jesus. People sue at the drop of the hat…over such silly issues. Your call is to something beyond counter suing. It is toward giving away more than the person was looking to take. Radical faith lived out in the everyday takes courage. You call for me to enough faith that out of the mix of the legal you can bring grace and glory to yourself.

41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

You call me to be open handed with what you have given me. So how do I do that today Lord? Where are the places that need a second mile and a gift of grace today?

Lord Jesus teach me to live an open handed lifestyle that does not miss opportunities of blessing because my hands are so tightly holding on to things that I can never take where I am going anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment