Thursday, January 7, 2010

Κύριος Notes:Commitments Calling to be Kept



Praise


Ruth 4:14
"Blessed be the LORD,
who has not left you this day
without a redeemer,
and may his name
be renowned in Israel!


Scripture Reflection: Matthew 5:27-32

Lord Jesus each of these segments of the law that you site, you refer to for a reason. Murder which you just addressed was a part of the Decalogue that every child learned...and yet was unsuccessful in actualizing.

Here is another of the 10 commandments that was the bed rock of the covenant.

7"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Sexual purity is something beyond just actions, it as to do with desire. It has to do with commitment that is beyond mere actions, but the ability to be committed to a person in such a way that there is no one else, in mind, heart, affection or fantasy.

29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

In a very real way, you want me to only be able to see that one person you have given for me to be in relationship with...my friend, lover, mate, and consoler. Any less and there is loss that can not be found anywhere else.


30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.


The point here Lord? Is it really body parts dismembered? No...the point is that purity of heart, thoughts and actions is so important that it is better to go through life with loss than to be engaged in divided loyalties. Fidelity in relationship is more important they our bodies.


31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Now you have cut off all retreat. Relationships once started must be lived out unless there is a violation of the integrity of the relationship. I am sure that you know who I am better than I know myself. I am sure that you know the reality of relationship lived out in the everyday. There are times of closeness and then there are those times of distance. In the middle life you have called me to live out relationship with covenant love demonstrated in the wash and ware world I live in.
Lord Jesus--Help me to live out the kind of marriage relationship that you would have me to...aware that you are the example of what a committed relationship is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment