Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Notes to the Lord: Signs, Signs Everywhere Signs


Scripture Reflections: Matthew 12
38Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."

Lord Jesus--These were the same people who had just seen a man restored to sanity from possession. What sign would be enough to move them toward belief? What sign is enough to keep me believing? Whenever I start looking for signs Lord I am in the same company that nothing was enough for. They saw the blind healed, the sick raised up to new health...and yet the still looked for a sign.

Maybe my prayer should be: "Lord, Increase my faith" instead of show me a sign? These men who were accusing you did not identify their request as a prayer but it was. I wonder how that slight difference would have impacted their request?

39He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one greater than Jonah is here.

Lord Jesus--These men revered and reverenced Jonah as a prophet and a man of God. Yet they would not have been able to hear him as the people of Nineveh did. Judgment is the sound of people repenting while my hard heart is locked and loaded and aimed at another direction. I would love to distance myself from these bags of hot air that chased You across the country, but I am not sure that I am any different them except because of your grace.

42The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here.

Lord Jesus--These men were looking right at the forest and were missing the trees that were right there to be seen. They were the one who missed out on glory of God that was being demonstrated right in front of their eyes.

Lord Jesus in this day let me see clearly the ways in which you are working, don't let me be distracted from the evidence of your glory and grace at work right in front of these eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment