Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Notes to the Lord:A Need For Mercy


Scripture Reflections: Matthew 12:30-37

30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Lord Jesus--Crediting to demonic activity the work of God is a fundamental error. When these leaders were crediting this act of exorcism to Satan they were unable to identify the work of the Holy Spirit, or were not telling the truth about knowing that this was the work of the Holy Spirit. You were warning these men that they were on dangerous ground--Holy Ground. The work of the Holy Spirit is always Holy Ground. These men were calling what was Holy profane.

So in the middle of a world that is filled with fakes and imitation how do we know the difference from the real and the imitations? All that glitters isn't gold. How can we know and identify spiritual authenticity?

33"Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit.

Lord Jesus--Authenticity is fruity, productive, generative...shows results. Good trees produce good fruit. There is nothing like fall when the apples are fresh, and I can pick them right off the tree. Is that you want the Spirits work in my life to be? Sometimes it is a wait until the fruit is in. Help me to be patient and wait for the results the Spirit's work in my life and in the livees of those around me.

34You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Lord Jesus--You know as well as I that there is no qualitative difference between me and any Pharisee that you met on the dusty roads of your ministry. Without your mercy and grace I am lost. There can be no hope of fruit without your grace actively working in my heart and life.

An old prayer of believers across the ages comes to mind..."Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God have mercy on me a sinner." Let these be the words that are remembered of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment