Sunday, April 11, 2010

Notes to the Lord:Family According to Jesus


Scripture Reflections:Matthew 12:46-50
46While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.


Lord Jesus--Your life was lived within the context of family and interconnected relationships just like mine. I wonder why your brothers and mother were looking to talk with you.

Was it a family issue that the oldest son needed to deal with? Was it that they were worried about you and the enemies that you were making? Or maybe it was the friends that you were keeping that had them concerned. All questions which could have motivated them to seek you out. It must have been difficult for you not to be accessible to your family at the point of their need. You were forced to make decisions that were difficult about the investment of your time just like I do.

48He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. 50For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Lord Jesus--Entrance into your family is based on following you and the direction of the Father. It is not about ritual and formality but about reality of a life that is lived out seeking to follow you whatever you lead. It is about walking in the light.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

Lord Jesus--Sometimes the following is through places and times that call for the best from within me...sometimes the walk is through times of great blessing. Your leading and direction, your path and your light is where I want to be. Keep me focused on the things that really matter and not the things that would distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment